Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Low bush Cranberries


I was in Fairbanks a couple weeks ago. I like Fairbanks in the fall, especially when I get a chance to be out in the woods. The smells are so alive when the temperature starts to drop and the added moisture of the cool temps which means dew (or frost) at night and the beginning decay of the plants. There aren't any low bush cranberries down here, or at least that I have been able to find. Someone told me that you could find that in the alpine meadows and I often see greenery that seems like it should be low bush but I never see any berries.

I found some along the ski trails at the university and I think I picked enough for cranberry sauce for 1 turkey!

When my sister came from Anchorage she brough a pint jar filled with lowbush cranberries so I think I'm now set for the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment