Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Provisional Cast-on

I learned a new technique for casting on called the Provisional method using a crochet hook and scrap yarn. Basically you cast-on with the contrasting yarn and then you start the first row with your pattern yarn once you have the right number of stitches set up. When you have finished with your project, you can un-cast the contrasting yarn and pick-up the original stitches on a needle and go from there. You could then add a lace edging, make the garment larger, use the 3-needle method to bind with other stitches and not have to pick up stitches along the edge.

I'm working on a hat from a book Zac and Rachelle gave me for Christmas called 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders that suggested using this cast-on method. You knit the hat sideways and then pickup stitches for the crown. I'm using some really soft, fluffy yarn and it should make for a really warm hat.



There are a lot of other patterns in this book that look intriguing. Since I don't have much of a yarn stash built us since making the move here I just might have to purchase new yarn specifically for a project or two... dang it!

update 1/10: I thought I had enough yarn but I ran out so had to rip it out - grrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment