Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Skunk Cabbage as seasoning


I'm reading a book by Jim Rearden based on the journals of Sam O White, called Sam O. White, Alaskan: Tales of a Legendary Wildlife Agent and Bush Pilot and came across one of many passages that talks about the menu (or grub) that he had while on the trail (either surveying, trapping, running dogs, etc.). In this specific passage he talked about a delicious moose stew he made with a leaf of skunk cabbage in it to give it just a hint of a garlic taste - but not too much or it would overwhelm the stew. I'm not brave enough to try it out but don't think I haven't thought about how to use those huge leaves for a salad or something. I came across these references on google:

Salmon baked in skunk cabbage leaves
The day you bring home skunk cabbage is the day you eat out
Funniest Kitchen Incident for Wildman Steve Brill
Nutritional Data (very high in sodium)

I guess you never know - I'll be sure to make a post if I get brave enough to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment