Monday, September 17, 2007

Knitted Lace

I really enjoy knitting lace. I love working with thin thread and the small needles. I like having the pattern appear in just a few rows even though I still have to pay attention and count to keep track of where I'm at. I don't normally need to mark my place on paper but I do have to pay attention. Its not something like baby booties which I can almost make with my eyes closed. I have several patterns that I regularly make and add to pillow cases, towels, and other items. Usually I know how long of a piece I need and knit it to fit. I'm not sure I have the nerve to just knit a ball of lace and then have to cut it to fit – I wouldn't mind someone else doing that part but I don't think I would enjoy it much. I'd hate to see the lace unravel before my eyes.

The lace I'm currently making is with cotton crochet thread. I think its no. 2 but I can't find the label and I'm using needles that are size no. 1. I use my double pointed needles because they are the shortest ones I have.

Here's a pattern for Irish Lace

Cast on 10 sts, k one row
Row 1: K2, yo, k 2 tog, yo twice, k 2 tog, k4.
Row 2: K6, p1, k1, p1, k2
Row 3: K2, yo, k 2 tog, k7
Row 4: K8, yo, k 2 tog, k1
Row 5: K2, yo, k 2 tog, k1, yo twice, k 2 tog, yo twice, k 2 tog, k2.
Row 6: K4, p1, k2, p1, k2, yo, k 2 tog, k1
Row 7: K2, yo, k 2 tog, k9
Row 8: Bind off 3 sts, k6, yo, k 2 tog, k1.

Repeat rows 1-8 until desired length and then bind off.


I really need to learn how to knit back and forth on the same needle without have to switch hands. This would save some time – my nephew-in-law Jim showed me how awhile back but I didn't practice and now I've forgotten how. I'll have to see if I can find some instructions on the web or just plan a visit to Seattle to get some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment