Saturday, October 27, 2007

High and Low Tides

We're experiencing the highest and the lowest tides (see tide chart) since we've come here. They are ranging from -4 feet to 20.5 feet in a 12 hour period. Its been interesting to watch because since it ranges within these 25 feet it happens so quickly. From one extreme to the other.

Our house has a bilge pump in the basement and its been going non-stop. I leaned out over the deck raining and out this picture. Thank goodness its still working!



Its kinda hard to show how high the tide actually has gotten but here's a picture of the tide with huge logs and other garbage floating in it. You can normally walk along a beach at the normal high tide.


I've heard that when there are extreme tides this is a good time for clamming. I have never been clamming so I don't know if this is true or not. I guess if we find ourselves at the beach this weekend we'll find out if we see people with their little shovels.

No comments:

Post a Comment