Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bright Blue Sky at Berner's Bay

We enjoyed a Saturday Audubon trip from Auke Bay to Berner's Bay on a catamaran a couple weekends past. It was a bright-blue-sky day with a gentle breeze and fresh snow on the mountains. For a donation of only $40 we got a 4-hour cruise up Lynn Canal. Plus we had lost of Audubon members on board who are much better spotting and identifying the birds then I am. It was a little chilly while we were underway but when we stopped it was warm.

We saw Bald Eagle, Herring Gull, Barrow's Goldeneye, North American Crow, Canada Goose, White-winged Scoters, Surf Scoter, Pelagic Cormorant, Bonaparte Gull, Rock Sandpiper, Oyster Catcher, Black Turnstone, Pidgeon Gullimonte, and Marbled Murrelettes.

Claudia came down to spent the weekend with us and we had a lot of fun catching up on things. Here Claudia is enjoying the sunshine while keeping an eye on the captain in the boathouse.


I'd like to say that this is me in this kayak but I was on the bigger boat enjoying the calm seas and the blue skies wishing I had my transparent bottom kayak so I could join these folks.


Along for the ride were some local friends– here's Terry and me. We have some awesome binoculars, don't we!

No comments:

Post a Comment