Monday, December 6, 2010

December 7, 1911

Flo's Diary


About 10° below zero. Went skating with Miss Gilmer after school. Mr. Green and Mr. Lewis come and play 5:00.Mr Lewis brings box of candy. Beat him "crib." Lewis and I go for mail about 11 pm. 5 letters. Bed at 12.

Do you think they had a mailbox? or did they have to awaken someone at 11 p.m. to pick up their letters? I guess I imaged it as being a contracted office - maybe they got mail at the N.C?

Here are a couple of images to show what skating might have been like. These are taken from my Great Uncle's photos. He lived in Chena, down river from Fairbanks and located about where the Chena Wayside is on Chena Pump/Chena Ridge Roads.





I believe Gus would be the man on the left with the pointy hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment