Thursday, November 8, 2007

I was introduced to this sight about a month ago and then reminded of it when Chris saved it as a delicious bookmark. Its called "What Should I Read Next?". It usually isn't a problem figuring out what I want to read next and its often a "get-in-line process" which goes astray and then circle's back around. There are books, though, that I've really enjoyed and are often written by one-book authors. I put this website to the test a month ago. Tim and I both read River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard a couple of years ago and it really stuck in my mind. So I ran this book title through the website and came up with this list:

Private Lives of Garden Birds: How to Understand the Everyday Behavior of the Birds in Your Backyard - Calvin Simonds - Interesting - but not same topic

Camera Man's Journey: Julian Dimock's South - Julian A. Dimock
Interesting - maybe get more info

Jefferson and Monticello: The Biography of a Builder - Jack Mclaughlin
NOPE

Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee - Charles J. Shields
NOPE

The Knife Man: The Extraordinary Life and Times of John Hunter, Father of Modern Surgery - Wendy Moore
NOPE

Passionate Nomad: The Life of Freya Stark - Jane Geniesse
Interesting - maybe get more info

The Hab Theory: A Novel - Allan W. Eckert
Interesting - maybe get more info

Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency - James Bamford
NOPE

The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: Revised and Updated: The Fate of the World and What We Can Do Before It's Too Late - Thom Hartmann
Interesting - but not same topic

Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad - William Craig
NOPE

So looking through this list I saw some that were not immediately not of interest to me. It wasn't actually the President or history that intrigued me about this book it was more about the adventure - and more importantly for me was where it took place. So I clicked on

More results:

A Sorrow in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh - Allan W. Eckert Interesting - but not same topic

A Sense of Where You Are: Bill Bradley at Princeton - John McPhee
NOPE

Chinese Lessons: Five Classmates and the Story of the New China - John Pomfret
NOPE

Earth Is Enough: Growing Up in a World of Trout and Old Men - Harry Middleton
Interesting - but not same topic

Winter : Notes from Montana - Rick Bass, Elizabeth Hughes
Interesting - but not same topic

Bush Pilot With a Briefcase: The Happy-Go-Lucky Story of Grant McConachie - Ronald A. Keith
Interesting - maybe get more info

I Shot an Elephant in My Pajamas/the Morrie Ryskind Story - Morrie Ryskind, John H. M. Roberts
Interesting - maybe get more info

The Thirtymile Fire: A Chronicle of Bravery and Betrayal - John N. Maclean
Interesting - maybe get more info

Satan's Circus: Murder, Vice, Police Corruption, and New York's Trial of the Century - Mike Dash
NOPE

That Dark and Bloody River - Allan Eckert
Interesting - maybe get more info

This last entry got me thinking that maybe this Allan Eckert might be a possibility so when I went to the library I looked for his books. I found That Dark and Bloody River so checked it out. It is a story about a 14-year old girl who gets lost in the Rain Forest and spends a lot of time on Amazon tributaries. It was very enjoyable. I won't tell you how it ends and spoil the ending for you in case you want want to read it!

I didn't mean to go on and on about this...sorry if I've talked your ear off! I just wanted to give you an example. Now I've added several more titles and several more authors to my wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment