Saturday, March 29, 2008

Kale

In my grocery box this week was a nice bunch of kale. Seeing as how we don't have a dining table (and we don't know anybody!) we haven't been having many dinner parties that require plate garnishes. I began hunting for recipes on what do with this this stiff, hearty green. This is one recipe that I found that turned out pretty tasty. I think I cut my carrots too thin or didn't chop the kale small enough because the carrots were a bit over cooked (I like them still crunchy) and the kale was a little tough. But a keeper recipe, nonetheless.

Balsamic-Glazed Carrots and Kale
6 medium-sized carrots, cut into thin diagonal slices
1 bunch kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
2 T olive oil
2 T Balsamic vinegar
2 t tamari or other soy sauce
1/2 t sugar or natural sweetner
1/8 t cayenne

Place carrots and kale in boiling salted water and cook until vegetables soften slightly and kale turns bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well and set aside.

Heat oil in skillet over med heat, add carrots, kale and other ingredients. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Serve Hot. Serves 4

From Vegan Planet, by Robin Robertson

I still have some green stuff left over - so Kalling all Kale recipes if you have one!

1 comment:

naomi lynn said...

Naomi's Standard Kale recipe:

saute chopped garlic and onions/shallots in olive oil, maybe a little sesame oil

add kale (cut out the stems if tough)

saute for a little while...

add dashes of tamari/soy sauce
and ginger juice (or chopped fresh ginger)

sometimes I add a little chicken or veg broth at the end it it needs a little extra softening action, or sesame seeds for texture

Comfort food.

Post a Comment