I've always like this recipe and since we had some left-over turkey in the fridge it seemed like a good idea to make for a weekday supper.
1 T oil
1 clove garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
Saute ingredients in a large pot.
1 t cumin
2 large chicken breasts, chopped into 1" chunks
16 oz while kidney beans, drained
15 oz garbanzo beans, drained
1 can white corn (or hominy)
8 oz chopped green chilies
2 c chicken bouillon
1 1/2 c water
Simmer until chicken is done
I used dry pinto beans that had soaked in water overnight and then simmered until done. Then I added all of the other ingredients except for the oil and let it simmer for 45-50 minutes.
We like to top it with sour cream, fresh chopped tomatoes and/or grated cheddar cheese and pair it with cornbread.
I got introduced to this style of cornbread at Naomi's wedding where her friend Joe prepared all the food for the wedding feast. I think that another bud, John, made the cornbeal following the recipe. It was delicious!
DANA SLY’S BLUE RIBBON VEGAN CORNBREAD
2 Tbsp. ground flax seed (I used the whole seed)
6 Tbsp. water
1 C all-purpose flour
1 C cornmeal
1/4 C sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. table salt
1 C soy milk
1/4 C canola oil
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the ground flax seed, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the ground flax seed in the water for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
- Add the ground flax seed mixture, soy milk, and canola oil to the flour mixture. Beat just until smooth (do not overbeat.)
- Turn into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up and continue to cool until warm, about 10 minutes longer. Cut into pieces and serve.