Thursday, November 18, 2010

November 19, 1911

Flo's Diary:



Well L:? I don’t know whether I want to go back over the trail or not. Think I’ll be good hereafter. To begin - awakened by a knock - breakfast at 5 o’clock Change drivers and from bobsled to double-enders. Single file: Meyers 1st, Capt. 2nd, Simpsons, 3rd, and I in the back. Lashed on with rope. Go over little Delta river. Snow drifts and wind. Gravel overflow about 1 ft deep. Put skates on sleds to hold them in ice but wind blew them out. Wind 75 miles an hour. Chat with driver Charley - interesting. Dinner at Yost. bum. Night at Miller’s. Some better. Beautiful scenery thru canyon. Sleepy. Rode over divide of Copper River and Yukon River a very gradual rise.

I wonder if the "L" she is referring to is her sister Loretta? or maybe its the big "L" as in "Lord"!

I think she has some of the river names mixed up. she would have left the Copper River at Gulakana so I think she means the Delta River. and when she says, Yukon River, I think she actually means the Tanana River (although the Tanana does run into the Yukon!)

Image of Fairbanks-Valdez Trail
Image of Yost's Roadhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment