Monday, June 11, 2007

Interesting salad

I found this salad in The New American Plate from the library and thought it sounded interesting enough to make. I served it on a bed of spring greens. The cookbook is from the American Institute for Cancer Research and has some pretty good information about portion size, managing your weight and ways to lower your risk for cancer and other chronic diseases.

Jicama and Orange Salad with Mint
1 medium jicama (about 3/4 pounds) peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 mediam carrots, peeled and julienned
2 small seedless navel oranges, peeled and sliced
1/2 T olive oil
2 T orange juice
2 T honey
1 T lime juice
salt
8 fresh mint leaves, slivered

Combine jicama, carrots and oranges in a bowl. Combine olive oil, orange juice, honey and lime juice, add salt to taste. Whisk the dressing and pour over jicama mixture. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours stirring occasionally to coat mixture with dressing. Sprinkle with mint before serving.

I'd like to try it again and use some vinegar - but I'm not sure which one - maybe balsamic but I'd hate to interfere with the colors of the jicama and orange - is there a white balsamic? I think it would be equally good with canned mandarins. I'd also like to add some kind of cheese - I don't think feta would be good but maybe some blue or gorgonzola, or papillon. I might even go for some sliced chicken breast or grilled tuna to make a entree salad for a warm day.

No comments:

Post a Comment