Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Tahini Rotini not tini on taste

Here's a new recipe from a vegan cookbook I picked up at the library called Vegan Planet. It has about 400 recipes in it. I started flagging recipes that I thought sounded pretty good and realized that I might as well just buy the book since I'd be copying most of the it anyway. (Did I just say copy?) They let you have library books for 2 months with a renewal but I wasn't sure that would be enough time to try them all.

So I tried this recipe because I liked the name Tahini Rotini (with Broccoli and lemon). You make this middle-eastern flavored sauce and pour it over pasta and steamed broccoli. I must admit that we didn't go total vegan - Tim grilled some chicken breasts that were sprinkled with greek seasoning and we sliced those into 4-5 slices and served them with the sauce.

2 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 c cooked or canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 c tahini (sesame paste)
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 T tamari or soy sauce
1/8 t cayenne
1 c veg stock or water

1 pound rotini
2 c broccoli florets
2 T toasted sesame seeds

In food processor (or blender) combine garlic chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, tamari, and cayenne pepper and process until smooth. I had to add some of the veg stock because it was a little too thick for me blender. Transfer to saucepan and heat over low. Add stock and simmer. While the sauce was simmer I tasted it and added some dried red chili pepper and more lemon juice.

Cook pasta as directed. During last 5 minutes of cooking time, add broccoli to pot. (or steam the broccoli first to your desired doneness and set aside and then cook the pasta – this is what I did)

Drain pasta and broccoli and place in serving bowl and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle with lemon zest and sesame seeds.

This serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment