Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wish you could Join Me for Tea


After a short discussion about scones with Krista and Pat last weekend I couldn't get the memory of tasting a warm, fresh scone, buttery and flacky, not too sweet, but not too plain... out of my mind. I really do miss those scones from the trailer, especially the apricot scones they had on Thursdays. I had some pumpkin that I wanted to use up and found this recipe for Pumpkin Scones - if you frequent Starbucks during the holidays you might have seen them there.

I followed the recipe pretty close but I didn't have enough powdered sugar so I only did the spicy glaze. I used brown sugar instead of the powered sugar and reduced the amount of milk.

I read in another recipe that the secret to flaky scones was based on two things: a) don't work the flour too much and if possible, use a good pastry flour, and b) make sure your butter and other wet ingredients are very, very cold.

I didn't have any pastry flour but I did have some frozen butter and my pumpkin was frozen too - perfect! I did let them both thaw out and used a pastry blender (or cutter) to mix the butter up with the flour mixture. I tried to get it to look like sand with a few pebbles mixed in. I didn't stress over getting it completely even. I read that you actually want to have those little burst of butter in the pastry. I mixed the dough up and put it in the fridge while I waited for the oven to preheat. I didn't use my normal cookie baking pan and didn't have parchment so they got a little dark on the bottom but I think they are pretty tasty despite the ugly bottom.

The recipe says it makes 6 scones but I thought the scones were a litter to big unless you were really hungry. I will think about dividing the dough into 8 or 9 next time.

I had one this morning with a cup of ty.phoo tea - just like Mom used to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh those look so good - we miss your special treats around here!

Post a Comment