Thursday, July 31, 2008

Beets from the Produce Box

We've been getting some great organic fruit from the Full Circle Farm box that we get delivered weekly. We've enjoyed some really delicious black and red grapes, cherries, and plums. We had some nice nectarines and some good peaches (if you cut the fuzzzzz off). The white corn has been delicious as well as some tasty greens. Last week we got some chioggia beets. These are cool! I need to get some of these seeds for Lori to plant in her garden next year.



These beets are really mild and have a slightly sweet taste - but the best part is that they are so cool looking - I'd definitely want to plan a hippie party since they look like they have been tie-dyed. I guess the second best thing is that they hardy bled at all when I boiled them up. I trimmed the greens about 4 inches from the top of the beet and left the roots on while I boiled them up. Normally you have to get out your painting clothes when you prepare beets because of the deadly red stain that gets all over everything. I didn't save the greens to steam up because they were really big and they looked like of strong.

Our favorite way to have beets is boiled up then sliced and heated through with a little butter, black pepper, and horseradish.

1 comment:

naomi lynn said...

Mmmm, horseradish! I would never have thought of that.

Post a Comment