Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pumpkin Biscuits


Yes, I had a lot of left-over pumpkin so I'm trying out a few recipes to use it up. I got this one from my Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson, page 482.

Pumpking Biscuits
2 c flour (I used 1 c white and 3/4 c whole wheat)
1 T baking powder
1/4 t salt (I left this out)
1/2 t ground allsice (I used 1 t chili powder but could have used more)
3/4 c canned pumpkin (I took my roasted pumpkin slices and mashed them up with a fork)
1/2 c soy milk (I used 1% milk)
3 T corn oil
1 T maple syrup (I used 1 T molasses)

  1. Preheat oven to 450°F. (I went for 400° because I had something else in the oven that I didnt want to bake that high - didn't seem to affect the cooking time) Lightly oil a baking sheet and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and allspice and set aside.
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, oil and syrup until smooth. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and stir until dough is just mixed and holds together.
  4. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface (I used semolina) and roll out to about 1/2-in thick. Using a biscuit cutter or small drinking glass, cut the dough into 2-in rounds and place on the baking sheet. Reroll scraps and cut more (keep in mind that the more you handle the dough, the tougher it will be). They should rise a little but they won't spread out on the pan so they can be pretty close together.
  5. Bake on center oven rack until golden brown on top, 12-15 minutes.

Recipes says it makes 10 (I made 8)

I had half with peanut butter and the other half with honey - honey was better! Tim strongly suggests just peanut butter.

1 comment:

Heidi Olson said...

I just had a warmed up biscuit with some homemade highbush cranberry apple butter - what a great combination!

-- HO :)

Post a Comment